We are seeking a Senior Graphic Designer to join the Design Department at the V&A Museum.
The V&A is the world’s leading museum of art and design, housing a permanent collection of over 2.3 million objects that span over 5,000 years of human creativity. The Museum holds many of the UK's national collections and houses some of the greatest resources for the study of architecture, furniture, fashion, textiles, photography, sculpture, painting, jewellery, glass, ceramics, book arts, Asian art and design, theatre and performance.
The V&A’s Design Studio champions the very highest quality design throughout the Museum. It is responsible for creating and sourcing the best and most appropriate design solutions for a wide range projects; and for creating a unified and coherent look and feel to the Museum.
Purpose of Job:
Lead on the delivery of highly creative and effective graphic design for communication campaigns and temporary exhibitions and ensure the V&A’s design identity is used creatively and innovatively throughout the Museum.
28 days plus 8 days public holidays
You will be auto enrolled into the Museum’s Group Personal Pension Scheme and have the opportunity on completion of Probation to an enhanced pension provision, including an employer contribution of 10%.
- Non-contributory life assurance policy (to value of 4 x annual salary)
- An interest free season ticket or bicycle loan is available after three months.
- Free entrance to all the major museums and exhibitions in London as well as many others.
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- To design and produce effective and stylish graphic work for print and display
- To create presentation visuals and present to key stakeholders at each design stage
- Working closely with stakeholders from Collections, Projects & Estate, Learning & Interpretation, Development, Visitor Experience and other departments, to ensure all work is delivered on schedule, to an agreed deadline and within budget.
- To produce highly creative work within an established corporate style.
- To ensure, where appropriate, graphic work fully integrates with 3D design.
- To liaise closely with the Graphics Production team, utilising the typesetting and production skills of this team where possible.
- To ensure the best production methods are selected for each project and to keep up-to-date with new production methods and techniques.
- To manage the graphic production process for each project, selecting suppliers and production companies for quality, reliability and cost; where in-house production is possible this option should be taken.
- To provide indicative costs, as and when required, for budgeting purposes.
- To maintain all records and files relating to the design work for each project.
- To comply with the Museum’s financial regulations for purchasing.
- Be committed to health and safety and ensure familiarity with all of the Museum's health and safety policies and procedures.
- Be security conscious, ensure familiarity and co-operation with all museum security procedures and ensure you wear a security pass at all times when on museum premises.
- Promote equality and diversity in all aspects of your work by developing and maintaining positive working relationships, ensuring that colleagues are treated fairly and with respect/dignity and actively contributing to developments that support the museum’s strategy for widening access, inclusion and diversity.
- Carry out ad hoc duties as requested by appropriate managers within your department.
- A degree in Graphic Design or equivalent
- Significant experience working in a creative agency or design studio
- Demonstrable ability to work creatively within the confines of a design identity
- Strong conceptual skills with a proven creative approach, a keen eye for typography and demonstrable ability to take concepts through to final execution
- Good communication skills, able to be rational and logical as well as creative and innovative
- Mastery of Adobe CS Suite.
- A keen eye for detail
- Excellent ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work quickly and effectively on several projects at the same time, planning and prioritising in order to meet tight deadlines and deliver on budget
- Clear understanding of printing and graphic production processes
- Well-developed interpersonal and communications skills with experience of leading but also working collaboratively within a team
- Interest in and knowledge of art and design
- Digital design experience
- Commercial experience and experience of working within a marketing environment
- Experience of design and production of display graphics working with 3D designers
Victoria and Albert Museum
31 December 2016
£30,000 - £34,000 per annum
31 Dec 2016
12/16 Jan 2017
Interview expenses will not be paid unless there is a prior agreement.