We are seeking a Senior Exhibition Designer to join the Design Department at the V&A Museum.
The V&A is the world’s leading museum of art and design, housing a permanent collection of over 2.3 million objects that span over 5,000 years of human creativity. The Museum holds many of the UK's national collections and houses some of the greatest resources for the study of architecture, furniture, fashion, textiles, photography, sculpture, painting, jewellery, glass, ceramics, book arts, Asian art and design, theatre and performance.
The V&A’s Design Studio champions the very highest quality design throughout the Museum. It is responsible for creating and sourcing the best and most appropriate design solutions for a wide range projects; and for creating a unified and coherent look and feel to the Museum.
Purpose of Job:
The Senior Exhibition Designer is responsible for delivering highly creative and effective designs for exhibitions, galleries, displays and public areas. One of the key responsibilities is to ensure that all designs meet V&A design, conservation and access strategies and is delivered to the highest standards, on time and within budget.
Net working hours (i.e. excluding meal breaks) are 36 per week.
The salary for this role will be £33,000 - £37,000. Salaries are reviewed on an annual basis.
28 days plus 8 days public holidays
You will be auto enrolled into the Museum’s Group Personal Pension Scheme and have the opportunity on completion of Probation to an enhanced pension provision, including an employer contribution of 10%.
- Non-contributory life assurance policy (to value of 4 x annual salary)
- An interest free season ticket or bicycle loan is available after three months.
- Free entrance to all the major museums and exhibitions in London as well as many others.
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Discounts on purchases in V&A shops
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- To provide creative and effective 3D design to support the Museum's objectives.
- To define and agree work schedules in conjunction with Head of Design and to deliver according to the agreed schedule, on time and within budget.
- To liaise with project stakeholders such as curatorial departments, exhibitions, technical services, conservation and facilities management as appropriate.
- To produce presentation visuals, drawings and models as required and present these to in-house 'clients', stakeholders and senior management.
- To liaise closely with Graphic designers, both internal and external, to ensure display graphics fully integrate with 3D design.
- To develop and produce detailed design drawings, written specifications and any other necessary design documentation for tendering purposes.
- To work closely with contractors during the design development stage and closely supervise on site to ensure projects are delivered as specified, to a high standard and according to agreed schedules and budgets.
- To maintain all records and files relating to the design work for each project.
- To keep a library of literature on display technology, display cases etc. as well as materials and samples from suppliers.
- To have a good understanding of CDM regulations, RIBA work stages, and Health and Safety regulations.
- To comply with the Museum’s financial regulations for purchasing.
- To consciously adhere to the V&A’s Sustainability policy.
- Be committed to health and safety and ensure familiarity with all of the Museum's health and safety policies and procedures.
- Be security conscious, ensure familiarity and co-operation with all museum security procedures and ensure you wear a security pass at all times when on museum premises.
- Promote equality and diversity in all aspects of your work by developing and maintaining positive working relationships, ensuring that colleagues are treated fairly and with respect/dignity and actively contributing to developments that support the museum’s strategy for widening access, inclusion and diversity.
- Carry out ad hoc duties as requested by appropriate managers within your department.
- 3D design degree or equivalent qualification.
- Significant 3D design experience working at an equivalent level in a creative agency and/or within the cultural sector.
- Mastery of VectorWorks, 3D modelling software and Adobe CS Suite.
- Track record of delivering projects from conception to completion to agreed specifications, timescales and budgets.
- Strong conceptual skills with a keen eye for detail.
- Highly developed visualisation and presentation skills - both 2D and 3D.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to be rational and logical as well as creative and innovative.
- Great organisational skills with capacity to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work creatively even when budget is limited.
- Well-developed inter-personal and communications skills with experience of leading but also working collaboratively within a team.
- Interest in and knowledge of art and design.
- Experience of working with Museum collections or for a cultural institution.
- Experience of working with 2D designers.
- Good understanding of graphic production processes.